Saturday, 4 November 2017

3 months in a Campervan in Australia!

Day 1-3. After arriving in Brisbane after a very long journey we checked into an Airbnb where we spent our first few nights to try and adjust to the time difference before picking up our campervan. Our Airbnb was in Kedron which is a 15 minute drive from the airport. We woke up at 4am for the first couple of nights and felt like we would never adjust to the time difference!

Day 4 - 1st November 2017. 
We checked out of our Airbnb and headed to Travellers Autobarn to collect our campervan. We completed the paper work, paid and away we went! We chose to stay in their 'kuga' campervan which is a 2-3 berth and has a seating area that turns into a double bed, a microwave, fridge and sink. We paid for some added extras such as; sleeping equipment, a satnav, a fan and 2 camping chairs. The fridge, microwave and power sockets only work when connected to a powered camp site. So we wont be using these too much as we are trying to stay at as many free camp sites as we can. 
We went to Coles which is a big supermarket here to get all of our cheap essential supplies (mainly pasta!). 
Our first stop was a free campsite in Glenview where we set up camp for the night. We were both feeling rather under the weather and think we caught a cold from the flights. 

^Our first night in the camper was spent here

^Sunrise at Glenview 

Day 2 - 2nd November. 
We left the camp site around 7am (still waking up early.) and headed to Rainbow Beach. This is where we saw a lot of campervans parked on the side of the road and finally felt like we weren't the only young travellers in small campervans! Rainbow Beach was stunning, the weather was hot and the sea blue! We had showers here as there were free facilities near the beach. 
We downloaded the Travellers Autobarn app on collection of our campervan as this indicates all campsites nearby. When looking on the app to see where we wouldn't sleep tonight we saw an offer on at The Palms campsite in Hervey Bay. We decided to book this as it was only $28 which is good for a powered camp site. We had access to a kitchen, hot showers (!), swimming pool- but most importantly electricity. This meant we could use the fan all night long as well as have a cold fridge! Once we got to The Palms we had a swim, cooked some lunch and went for a walk near the beach at Hervey Bay. We bought some burgers from a local butchers for our meal that night and sat on the beach as the sunset. 

^Rainbow Beach

^Sunset at Hervey Bay

Day 3- 3rd November. 
We left The Palms around 9am (after making the most of the hot showers) and headed towards Bargara near Bundaberg. 
After both feeling quite poorly the past couple of days we went to a chemist to speak to a pharmacist and get some medicine for our colds/chesty coughs. We are hoping this helps as we just want to get better to fully enjoy our adventure!
We drove along Woongarra Senic Drive which took us along the coast of Bargara. We had a pit stop along the way to tip our toes in the sea. 
After this we found a free camp site 30 minutes from Bargara called Sharon Gorge Nature Reserve where we will be staying tonight! 

^Kellys Beach/Money's Creek at Bargara

^Moneys Creek at Bargara

No comments:

Post a Comment